Learn all about snail mucin 🐌 in our VERY FIRST EVER “Ingredients 101” Series, and why you should start adding it to your skin care regimen!
Why snail mucin?
Have you ever wondered why snails can crawl on pointy twigs, sharp rocks and uneven ground without getting hurt? Truthfully they do get hurt 😥
But snails are incredibly powerful creatures. They naturally produce a thick fluid made up of elastic, glycolic acid and proteins, a.k.a snail slime.
In Ancient Greece, snail mucin was a traditional topical solution used to reduce inflammation. Over time they slowly crawled their way into K-Beauty essences and creams, to take full advantage of the super healing abilities of the snail mucin.
What does snail mucin do for your skin? Sounces like a gimmick
Since snail mucin is still relatively new in the skin care world, the science behind these products is still somewhat lacking. HOWEVER, this does not deter people from trying out and falling in love with snail skin care.
All you need is a simple google search to read stories of how snail mucin has drastically changed people’s skin for the better!
What we do know is that snail extract or snail mucin is packed with hyaluronic acid, glycoprotein enzymes, proteoglycans and copper peptides, all of which are commonly used in beauty products and proven to be beneficial for healing or rebuilding the skin.
Plus, it has anti-microbial properties to fight off acne-causing bacteria! All in all, snail mucin is known for hydrating, repairing skin damage, fighting blemishes, even skin tone, fading acne scars or pigmentation, firm and tighten the skin, and boost elastin and collagen production to slow the signs of ageing to a snail’s pace.
Quite the multitasker!
How is snail mucin cultivated?
Thankfully, with the advancements of science and technology, there are “cruelty-free” ways to extract snail slime. In Korea, where animal testing is now illegal, and brands like COSRX and Mizon are leading examples of brands that extract snail mucin ethically.
For example, COSRX extracts snail slime simply by placing the snails over a mesh net, allowing them to freely roam in a dark and quiet room, leaving the goodies along the way! No external stressors are applied because they believe that optimal mucin production occurs when snails are comfortable in their habitat.
What are some of the best K-Beauty products with snail mucin?
- Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence: Packed with snail filtrate, this powerful essence has a fast-absorbing, gel like texture you can just pat on after toning to make your skin feel hydrated and pampered, among a thousand other skin benefits.
- Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule: This supercharged ampoule is perfect for those days when your skin needs an instant pick-me-up, and ASAP results.
- Jumiso Have A Good Cream Snail & Centella: If your skin is always dry, or you're prepping for winter, definitely try snail mucin in moisturiser form. It's insanely hydrating, yet still lightweight at the same time.
- Mizon All in One Snail Repair Cream: Known for its hydrating and do-it-all formula, this snail cream is a bestseller for a reason. If you need some extra boost for the eye area, pick it up in an eye cream version!
- Benton Snail Bee High Content Mask Pack: Sheet masking is the perfect way to introduce your skin to snail mucin, or give your skin that instant glow! Packed with snail filtrate and bee venom, this sheet mask is suitable for all skin types, even sensitive and acne-prone skin.
Have you tried snail mucin in your skin care? How was your experience?